- To support establishing a community of European stakeholders in the process of developing and improving characterisation tools in order to bring the development of nanomaterials and advanced materials in Europe into end products more successfully.
- To gather the needs and requirements of that community for characterisation tools and supporting actions.
- To provide a forum for discussion, problem solving and planning R&I activities in Europe.
- To establish the formation of standard methodologies on nanocharacterisation in Europe, and create a common background.
- To create a platform for nanocharacterisation, with the attempt to act with Open Research Data.
- To link nanometrology with in-situ monitoring and industrial needs.
- To provide a suitable background for regulation and nanosafety.
- To support EC policy development, underpinning the relevant EC priorities, with a stakeholder driven roadmap for characterisation techniques for engineering and upscaling of nanomaterials and advanced materials in Europe. This activity is to support the strengthening of Europe’s industrial capacity and competitiveness.
COLLABORATION WITH OTHER EUROPEAN INITIATIVES
The EMCC seeks close interactions with other Clusters/Councils, in particular the European Materials Modelling Council (EMMC), European Pilot Production Network (EPPN), NanoSafety Cluster (NSC) and the Engineering & Upscaling Cluster, the EuMaT – European Technology Platform for Advanced Engineering Materials and Technologies, the Research Data Alliance (RDA) and the Nanofutures initiative. There is a strong link to the Alliance for Materials (A4M) as well as to the large European Materials Research Society (EMRS) and the Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS).
EMCC also seeks interactions with relevant players outside of Europe, in particular NIST Material Measurement Laboratory (MML), NIST Integrated Data Management for Materials Discovery.